Fairtrade Chocolate and Pear Upside Down Cake
This delicious chocolate pudding is packed full of Fairtrade ingredients and delicious caramelised pears. Delicious served warm with a scoop of Our Cow Molly ice cream!
- 6 small ripe pears (roughly 600g), peeled, quartered and cored
- 25g butter, melted
- 30g Fairtrade soft brown sugar
- 60g Fairtrade cocoa powder (we used Equal Exchange)
- 190g salted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 100g low-fat natural yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 100g Fairtrade light soft brown sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
Fairtrade icing sugar and Our Cow Molly “Just Molly” ice cream to serve.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Put the pears in a baking dish with the melted butter and sugar; toss to coat. Bake for 25 mins or until just tender. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Grease a 20cm round springform cake tin and line the base with nonstick baking paper. Arrange the pears in a tight circle over the base, with the thin ends in the centre. Drizzle over any juices from the baking dish.
- Mix the cocoa with 100ml boiling water until smooth. With an electric whisk, beat the butter, oil, yogurt, cocoa mix, vanilla, sugar, flour and baking powder in a large bowl for 2 mins until smooth and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Pour over the pears and shake gently to level out.
- Bake for 1 hr-1 hr 10 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 mins in the tin before turning out onto a serving plate, so the pears are facing up. Serve warm dusted with icing sugar, or leave to cool completely.