Lucy’s Favourite Fair Trade Tea Loaf
This is possibly one of my all time favourite cakes, I have loved it for as long as I can remember. My mum made it so much when we were growing up and I think even now it would always be my cake of choice.
This recipe It’s so simple to make and eat, and is the cake is delicious with or without butter (or with a piece of cheese!).
175g Fairtrade dried fruit – a mixture of what you have available is fine
125g Fairtrade demerara sugar
250ml Fairtrade tea
200g self raising flour
1 large free range egg
You will also need a 2lb loaf tin (approx. 21cm x 11cm x 7cm) lined with greaseproof paper
Pre heat oven to 160C/150 fan/gas mark 3
- Soak dried fruit and sugar overnight in the tea (I never plan far enough ahead to do this, so I just put hot tea on fruit and sugar and let it sit while I line the tin and get everything else ready)
- Quickly stir in beaten egg and flour
- Pour into prepared tin
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean
- Remove from tin using paper
Leave to cool on a wire rack
- Serve sliced with or without butter
- Delicious on it’s own or with a piece of cheese!
- Freezes well
We hope you enjoy this cake! Why not try giving your favourite cake a fair trade twist?